Asian Access Faculty, Rod Denton, reflects on "Growing Big People" (an approach we celebrate at Asian Access!)
“When people grow, everything attached to them grows. But when we try to grow the activities attached to people, but we neglect to grow the people, we finish up with small people trying to handle and grow big things. This results in getting people who are burned out and exhausted and resentful. These people are then involved in constant changes of roles because they have been trying to do things of which they are not capable. Consequently, our greatest asset is not our finances or resources; rather it is always going to be people. It follows that our greatest priority is to grow and empower people, big people who are capable of growing other big people who together will advance God’s purposes in breakthrough ways.”
These words of Paul Scanlon stirred me late in 2015 to develop a leadership training experience that would take a selected group of 12 people on a journey in 2016. I was further challenged by some words at the time that in most of our courses “we usually overtrain people and underdevelop people.” How true this has been as I come across leaders who have accumulated shelves of training resources and yet who continually fall down in their ministries leaving a trail of destruction behind them. With all of this in mind I put together a course called GROWING BIG PEOPLE:
The group would meet one Sunday night a month for 2.5 hrs.
- Each member would be required to take up the daily SOAP Bible study journaling that would take them through the Bible in one year.
- The monthly meetings would begin with a time of worship that would lead us into the presence of God.
- Following the worship, members would gather in small groups to share what they had learned from the set assignment material that they would be required to complete each month.
- Two books would be studied, Hudson Taylor’s Spiritual Secret and Abiding in Christ by Andrew Murray. I have never seen these books included in a leadership training course and yet they have dramatically transformed lives and caused group members to be reduced to tears as they studied them.
- Each meeting I would teach a session on some aspect of Spiritual Leadership.
- Video clips from some of my favourite leadership teachers would be presented and discussed.
At the conclusion of the 2016 course, the testimony night proved to be an amazing night of stories of leaders who had been through a year of intense development and who had grown to be bigger people.
Some of the feedback from the course included:
- “Without a doubt the course has been the best investment I made in 2016.”
- “Rod’s leadership course has been a transforming experience for me. It has taken me to a new level of leadership. My only regret is that I did not learn these principles twenty years ago.” (A Pastor of 25 years’ experience)
- Growing Big People (Paul Scanlon)
- About Rod
Rod Denton has served as a pastor and as a teacher in the development of emerging leaders in Australia and 9 different countries across Asia with Asian Access. He now serves as a consultant for Rod Denton Equipping The Next Generation. Rod also serves part time as the Mission's Resource Consultant with the Salvation Army. More information: www.roddentoneng.com.au
See also, Asian Access Faculty