Asian Access partners with a local movement to meet needs in Sri Lanka following the bombings
Asian Access is partnering in Sri Lanka with a significant nationwide movement there that has consistently responded to disaster needs as long term involvement. Here is an initial list of response directly from this movement to the practical needs of the Sri Lankan people affected by the Easter bombing:
- EDUCATION: Provide educational scholarships for children whose parents were killed by the bombing. This fund will be so established that even the guardians cannot withdraw the money until the child needs it for higher education. (Note: primary and secondary education is provided by the government free.)
- EYE CLINICS: We intend to set up eye clinics in the East of Sri Lanka. The reports we are receiving now indicate this is a big need. Some will need to go through eye surgery, others will need help with eyesight related issues.
- HEARING AIDS: Many people need hearing aids.
- PHYSIOTHERAPY: People will need assistance with long term physiotherapy. (We intend to set up a fund people can apply for assistance for physiotherapy expenses).
- WHEELCHAIRS: We will be discussing with free wheelchair missions to acquire 1,000 wheelchairs to be distributed among bomb blasts victims and others who are disabled.
- TRAUMA COUNSELING: We will organize trauma counseling seminars in many parts of the Island. (This is a need arising out of the three major disasters we had in the country, i.e., the 30-year civil war in the nation, the 2004 Tsunami and now the bomb blast.)
- SPIRITUAL NEEDS: We will partner with another movement to organize all-night prayer vigils in all nine provinces of the nation. The bomb blast, demonic activity, and the revival that we are praying seem to be so connected. This is also our time to deal with the powers of darkness that have destroyed the lives of many people in our nation.
Budget for Early Initiatives
Below is an initial list from this movement of some longer-term involvement to support the affected people by Easter bomb blasting in Batticaloa and to protect churches from current perils due to the situation.
|Educational scholarships for children (Saving for Higher Education)||8,522.73|
|Eye clinics in the East of Sri Lanka. (4 Clinics)||2,272.73|
|Help with eyesight related issues (surgery, eyeglasses, etc.)||3,409.09|
|Help with hearing related issues (hearing aids)||3,409.09|
|Assistance with long term physiotherapy||4,261.36|
|Trauma counseling seminars||2,272.73|
|Fixing cameras for 12 churches throughout SL||6,818.18|
Three ways to help:
- PRAY: To know how to pray, read Ajith Fernando's post on the bombings: https://www.desiringgod.org/articles/the-bombs-on-easter-sunday
- ENCOURAGE: Send notes of encouragement to friends there (via email or social media)
- GIVE: You can give to help those in need. There are many options. Asian Access does have a fund, here: https://a2stories.com/srilankabombings
- Coming alongside Sri Lanka & other persecuted countries
- (MNN) Sri Lanka mourns Easter Sunday bombing victims
- A personal message from Sri Lanka
- Update on Sri Lanka: April 26, 2019