Last Fall, Pastor David Dayalan, Asian Access VP for Program Development shared a devotional highlighting letting Jesus take the lead with our board of directors. I thought you might enjoy seeing a taste of what we spend our time doing in seeking to prepare Christ-like leaders… You’ll quickly see that it’s not about us being leaders. It’s really about us being followers!
Why did Jesus lead the way he did?
1. He knew who he was.
"Jesus, knowing that the Father had given all things into his hands, and that he had come from God and was going back to God…" – John 13:3
- Jesus was sure of his identity.
- Rather than focusing on pleasing people, Jesus led by focusing on the Father.
- Why do we focus on other things, David asks, such as… achievement, degrees, work?
“If we have a clear identity, then we are able to lead radically like Jesus!” – David Dayalan
2. He was controlled by the Spirit.
"The Spirit immediately drove him out into the wilderness." – Mark 1:12
- Rather than trying to control things, Jesus allowed the Spirit to lead him.
- The Spirit often leads us to places we don’t want to go… Will we follow?
- Since the Spirit is given to us in abundance as scripture tells us, so am I functioning in the Spirit?
“Today, leadership is seen as doing but it is really about being!” – David Dayalan
3. He was in command of the Scriptures.
- Jesus thoroughly knew the Scriptures and used them to teach, clarify, encourage, correct and rebuke.
- Are we good students of the Word, able to handle it correctly?
“As leaders, we are teachers, so we need to be in command of God’s word.” – David Dayalan
4. Jesus is wholesome.
"I came that they may have life and have it abundantly." – John 10:10
- Jesus was covered with integrity.
- Is God in control of our lives?
“Am I whole?” – Pastor David asks.
5. Jesus was committed to God’s purposes.
- Jesus was committed to God’s kingdom… not his own kingdom
Are we committed to God’s whole kingdom? Or do we focus on our own? – David Dayalan
Ask yourself these questions today on Ash Wednesday. Do you let Jesus take the lead in your life? Are you truly following him?
As I head into this lenten season, I'm asking myself, "Which of these reasons do I need to focus on making strides?" As a leader, will you join me in asking this of yourselves? Let's be more like Christ and follow him more deeply.
President, Asian Access